Posts for category: Pain Management
You may not realize how much you depend on your hands until you begin to experience discomfort just performing everyday tasks. In fact, it may be these everyday tasks that are causing you pain, especially if they are repetitive and you've been doing it for years, and it can involve working with a keyboard or a power tool. Some common causes of hand pain are explored below, as well as what treatment you can expect, but to learn much more you can reach out to Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists in Manassas and Haymarket, VA.
Your hands are complex structures and there are many parts that can be overstressed or injured over time. Pain can stem from your bones, joints, connective tissues, nerves, and tendons and can be brought on by inflammation, repetitive motion injuries, nerve damage, sprains, and underlying chronic conditions.
There is simply a lot going on beneath the skin and unless you can trace back your hand pain to a specific injury you may have trouble identifying the problem, or how to address it, but that's where your orthopedic specialist can help.
Hand Pain Treatment in Manassas and Haymarket, VA
If your hand pain is not severe and is something you've only begun struggling with, then your doctor could recommend over-the-counter medication, often they'll recommend nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen, or prescribed medication if necessary, along with rest and may make recommendations about how to prevent re-injury. For this cause, they may provide you with a brace or a splint and may recommend physical therapy to help heal your hand, depending on your situation. Cortisone injections are also a possibility.
When these conservative measures do not provide you with relief, or if you've experienced severe hand pain from the start, your doctor can suggest surgery to address the underlying problems.
But everything begins with a visit, during which you can explain your symptoms and your doctor can perform a physical examination and imaging tests to determine the best course of action for your individual circumstances.
So if you are experiencing hand pain, take the first step, schedule a consultation with Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists in Manassas and Haymarket, VA, by dialing (703) 369-9070.
Your hip is one of the largest joints in your body. It is a major weight-bearing joint that undergoes considerable stress during everyday activities like standing, walking, or running. If you experience hip pain in Manassas, or Haymarket, VA, the experts at Northern Virginia Orthopedic Specialists can help you get relief.
Do You Suffer from Hip Pain?
Hip pain is a condition that affects patients of all ages. Patients often express that their hip pain is localized to the anterior hip and groin, the posterior hip and buttock, or the labrum hip.
The most common causes of hip pain include:
- Bursitis- Bursae help cushion and reduce friction between your bones and the overlying soft tissues. Bursitis is a condition in which the bursa becomes inflamed and irritated
- Tendonitis- Your tendon is a structure that connects muscle to bone. Tendonitis is a condition that occurs when a tendon becomes inflamed. A tear in a tendon can cause outer hip pain
- Osteoarthritis- If you have this form of arthritis, you can feel the hip bones rubbing or grating against each other when you move
- Stress fracture- If you are involved in high-impact sports or intense training, you are at a higher risk for a stress fracture
How to Treat Hip Pain in Manassas, Or Haymarket, VA
Treating your pain starts with a visit to your doctor. We offer hip replacement surgery to get you back on your feet. Hip replacement is a surgical procedure in which the hip joint is replaced by a prosthetic implant. We also have the option of the cutting-edge MAKOplasty® hip replacement. It uses a robotic surgical system controlled by your surgeon to perform the procedure in a way that is minimally invasive.
For comprehensive management of hip pain in Manassas, or Haymarket, VA, call Northern Virginia Orthopedic Specialists today at (703) 369-9070.
How your orthopaedic and sports medicine specialists in Manassas, and Haymarket, VA, can help you get relief from ankle pain
Ankle pain can dramatically impact your life. Your ankles help to carry your weight and help you move around. If you suffer ankle pain, you may become inactive, which can lead to other health issues. Fortunately, your orthopaedic and sports medicine specialists can help.
The orthopaedic and sports medicine doctors at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists provide a wide range of orthopaedic services, including treatment of ankle pain. They have two convenient locations in Manassas, and Haymarket, VA, to help you get relief from ankle pain.
There are a variety of problems that can cause ankle pain, including:
- A strained, sprained or torn ligament
- A strained, sprained, or torn tendon
- A fractured or broken bone in your ankle
You may experience any of these problems due to:
- A vehicular accident
- A sports injury
- Tripping and falling
You may have damaged your ankle if you notice:
- A loud popping noise when you injured your ankle
- Swelling and bruising after your injury
- Pain when you try to put weight on your foot
- A tight feeling in your ankle and difficulty moving it
If you notice any of these signs or symptoms, you can try:
- Resting and keeping your ankle elevated to reduce swelling
- Placing an ice pack on your ankle to reduce swelling
- Wrapping your ankle in compression bandages to add support
For severe ankle pain or if you have dislocated or broken a bone, you need the services of your orthopaedic and sports medicine specialist, who may recommend:
- Taking prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication to reduce inflammation
- Stretching and physical therapy to increase strength and flexibility
- Using a walking boot or cast to add support and stability
- Surgical treatment to repair, reattach, or realign tendons, ligaments, and bones
To read more detailed information about ankle pain and ankle pain treatment, please visit the Ankle Pain page on the website by clicking here.
To learn more about ankle pain causes and treatments, call the orthopaedic and sports medicine specialists at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists. You can reach them in both the Manassas, and Haymarket, VA, locations by calling (703) 369-9070, so call today.
Find out when to turn to an orthopedic specialist for care.
From injuries to normal wear and tear, there are many reasons why you might be dealing with hand pain. After all, we certainly use our hands for everything, from brushing our teeth to working out to typing on our keyboards. If you are dealing with hand pain, you may be wondering if you should turn to our Manassas and Haymarket, VA, orthopedic surgeons for care. Here’s what you should know,
What Causes Hand Pain?
There are many causes of hand pain, so nothing is more important than for our Manassas, VA, team to examine and thoroughly evaluate the hand to determine the cause of your pain. The most common hand pain causes include,
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Trigger finger
- Ganglion cysts
- Nerve problems
When Should I Turn to an Orthopedic Hand Specialist?
Our Manassas, VA, orthopedic surgeon specializes in diagnosing and treating conditions and injuries that impact the hand and wrist. We understand the intricate, complex inner workings of the hand and can provide you with the treatment you need to get your pain under control. So, when should you turn to us for hand pain treatment? Contact us if,
- You experience pain even at rest
- You have persistent pain and stiffness
- You develop a limited range of motion in your hands or wrists
- You notice weakness in the hand or difficulty holding objects
- You experience Swelling or pain that’s increased with activity
- Rest doesn’t make symptoms better
- You have trouble getting through your daily activities and routines
- You develop numbness, tingling, or loss of sensation in the fingers or hand
What Are Some Treatment Options?
We first need to figure out what’s causing your hand pain before creating the best treatment plan to fit your needs, condition, and symptoms. Imaging tests such as x-rays and ultrasounds can give us a more in-depth look into the tendons, bones, and ligaments of the hands to detect injuries, inflammation, and diseases.
Our orthopedic team provides non-surgical and surgical treatment options to individuals dealing with hand pain here in Manassas and Haymarket, VA. We can also help you determine when surgery may be the best option. Common treatments for hand pain include,
- Rest, icing, and home care
- Prescription pain relievers or steroids
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Specialized exercises
Don’t let hand pain impact your daily routine and life. Our Manassas and Haymarket, VA, orthopedic team can help. Call Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists at (703) 369-9070 to learn more.
Shoulder pain is one of the most common reasons people visit the Haymarket and Manassas, VA, orthopedic specialists at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists. That's not surprising since it's difficult to do so many things when your shoulder is stiff and painful.
Common causes of shoulder pain
Shoulder pain can be caused by a variety of injuries and conditions including:
- Arthritis: Normal wear and tear or injuries can lead to osteoarthritis, a painful condition that occurs when the cartilage at the ends of the bones in your shoulder joints wears away. Arthritis can cause pain, swelling, stiffness and reduced range of motion in your shoulder. Shoulder pain can also be caused by rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune condition that causes inflammation and joint damage.
- Rotator Cuff and Biceps Tendinitis and Tears: Inflammation in the tendons that connect the muscles to the joints in the shoulder joint can trigger pain and stiffness in your shoulder. You may find it difficult to move your arm up or down and may notice swelling around the shoulder or on the side of your arm. In some cases, the tendons may actually tear and separate from the bone. During your visit to the Haymarket or Manassas, VA, office, your orthopedic specialist may order a test or two to determine if tendinitis or a tendon tear is responsible for your shoulder pain.
- Shoulder Dislocation: A recent fall or blow to your shoulder could have caused a painful dislocation. A dislocation happens when the head, or top, of the arm bone moves out of its normal position in the joint. In addition to causing pain, dislocations make it difficult to move your arm. Dislocations can also happen if the muscles, ligaments or tendons that support your shoulder become unstable.
- Frozen Shoulder: Is it impossible to raise your arm or fully extend it over your head? You may have a frozen shoulder, a condition that occurs when the connective tissue that surrounds your shoulder joint thickens after becoming inflamed.
Other causes of shoulder pain include:
- Labral tears
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Weightlifter's shoulder
- Snapping scapula syndrome
- Quadrilateral space syndrome
Are you tired of living with shoulder pain? Your orthopedic specialists in Haymarket and Manassas, VA, can find the source of your pain and offer helpful treatments that relieve your symptoms. Call (703) 369-9070 to schedule an appointment at either office of Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists.