Your orthopaedic specialists in Haymarket, and Manassas, VA, can help you get relief from arthritis pain.
Do you suffer from chronic joint pain? If so, you could have arthritis, which is inflammation of your joints. Arthritis can eventually progress to permanent joint damage, making every movement painful. The good news is, your orthopaedic specialist can help.
The doctors at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists offer a wide range of orthopaedic services, including arthritis treatment. They have two convenient office locations in Haymarket, and Manassas, VA, to help you.
You may be at higher risk of developing arthritis if you:
- Are older
- Are female
- Are overweight or obese
- Have injured your joints previously
- Have a family history of arthritis
There are several types of arthritis, caused by different things. The two most common arthritic conditions are:
Osteoarthritis, which is caused by overuse and wear-and-tear on your joints over time. When you have osteoarthritis, the cartilage, which provides the cushion between your bones, breaks down.
Rheumatoid arthritis, which is an autoimmune condition; when you have rheumatoid arthritis, the lining of your joints, known as the synovium, becomes damaged.
There are signs and symptoms common to all types of arthritis. These include:
- Swelling and stiffness in your joints
- Moderate to severe pain in your joints
- Decreased range-of-motion and flexibility
There are several remedies you can try to get relief from arthritis symptoms. Remember to:
- Maintain a healthy weight to relieve joint stress
- Exercise regularly to decrease pain and stiffness
- Apply hot and cold packs to your painful joints
- Use assistive devices like canes or walkers to help you stay active
For moderate to severe arthritis pain, it’s best to visit your orthopaedic specialist. Medication is often the first line of treatment for arthritis pain. Common arthritis medications include:
- Prescription-strength pain relievers
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatories
For rheumatoid arthritis, common medications include:
- Anti-rheumatic medications like methotrexate
- Biologic response modifiers like Enbrel
Your orthopaedic specialist may also recommend:
- Corticosteroid injections
- Physical therapy, stretches, and exercises
- Braces or splints for added support
In severe cases, surgery may be indicated. Common surgical treatments include:
- Joint repair
- Joint replacement
- Joint fusion
There is help for arthritis pain, and it’s just a phone call away. To learn more about the causes, signs, symptoms, and treatment of arthritis, talk with the experts. Call the doctors at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists. You can reach them in either the Haymarket, or Manassas, VA, offices by calling (703) 369-9070, so call now.