How your orthopaedic specialists in Manassas, and Haymarket, Virginia can help with shoulder pain.
Your shoulder is a complicated part of your body, responsible for many actions involving your arms. When you have shoulder pain, it can dramatically affect your life. Activities which were once enjoyable can become agonizing. When you stop activities, it can lead to stiffness and loss of mobility in your shoulder.
The good news is, your orthopaedic specialist can help. The doctors at Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists offer a wide range of services, including treatment for shoulder pain. They have two convenient office locations in Manassas, and Haymarket, Virginia to help you and your shoulder feel better.
Shoulder pain can be caused by many conditions including:
- Osteoarthritis and degenerative joint problems
- Tendonitis or a torn rotator cuff
- Shoulder impingement or a frozen shoulder
- Weightlifter’s shoulder or a sports injury
- Fractured bones or shoulder dislocations
- Torn tendons or torn ligaments
If you are suffering shoulder pain, you can try a few simple remedies at home to get relief. You can try:
- Placing an ice pack on your shoulder several times during the day
- Placing warm, moist heat on your shoulder
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication
- Avoiding activity and letting your shoulder rest for a short period
If your shoulder pain continues or gets worse, you should seek out the help of your orthopaedic specialist. Your doctor will do a thorough assessment and examination of your shoulder, including range-of-motion, flexibility, and noting any swelling. Your doctor may recommend x-rays and imaging studies to determine if you have any problems associated with bones, tendons, or ligaments.
Your doctor will develop a comprehensive treatment plan designed to heal your shoulder and maintain strength, flexibility, and range-of-motion. Your treatment plan may include:
- Wearing a cast, sling, or other devices to immobilize your shoulder while it heals
- Physical therapy or rehabilitation to restore flexibility, strength, and range-of-motion
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling and pain
- Corticosteroid injections to reduce swelling and pain
You don’t have to suffer from a painful shoulder. You can get relief by seeking out the help of your orthopaedic specialist. To find out more about shoulder pain treatment and other orthopaedic services, call the doctors of Northern Virginia Orthopaedic Specialists. You can reach them at their office in Manassas, or Haymarket, Virginia at (703) 369-9070.